Monday, August 9, 2010

The hallway

Our  hallway was previously painted the same sagey green as the living room and our bedroom before that got painted. Not my favorite color, although I've conceded to let it stay in the living room because that's a huge paint job and I think it actually works with everything we have in that room. I was itching for another paint project though and thought the hallway was small enough to allow for something more technically challenging. STRIPES!

I was inspired by our friends, Karen and Mark's old bathroom, which they also striped. Karen offered to help me with the project so we busted it out this weekend. I wanted really subtle stripes since it's a small space, but I wanted them to be noticeable, so I did them in slightly different shades (glass of milk white, and a pale, icy blue) but very different sheens (flat vs. high gloss). It gives a neat effect and I'm really happy with how it turned out. Even Jeffy likes it!

We started with two coats of the flat finish white...


Then came lots of measuring and taping and burnishing and sealing with matte medium (Karen's very helpful tip which kept the blue stripes from bleeding under the tape)...



Barely perceptible between the colors and I was doubting the vision a little bit...


Et voila! Once dry and shiny and with art up, I was confident we chose wisely and did a good job. It's so much brighter! The light blue stripes are enhanced with the blues in several of the pieces we have up in the hallway that were not complemented with the darker green hallway.


Here you can see the difference in sheen between the two paints:


That's it for now! I'm not allowed any more painting projects until the nursery is needed. One more reason to make a baby...

1 comment:

Nikki Menda said...

Awesome! That turned out really well!!