Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Nursery progress!

My almost-Mother's Day present from Jeff was a weekend full of sanding and painting to get the baby's room ready! It was exactly what I wanted. While Mandy and I arranged and delivered flowers, Jeff sanded and painted the baby's dresser, changing table, AND painted the walls of the room! All in just one weekend. He's a work horse.

For the nursery walls, we went with my favorite color, a light minty-blue that I like to call Daiquiri Ice. Benjamin Moore actually has a paint color called Daiquiri Ice but it's all wrong. It's nothing like the Baskin-Robbins sorbet I know and love. This one came the closest in my sample swatches, and is Valspar's Grand Hotel Mackinac Blue. It's a little bright but I think that's because there is so much of it right now. Once we have more stuff in the room and up on the walls, I think it will be perfect and cheery.


This was Jeff's dresser from when he was a baby, and he repainted it with Martha Stewart's Silhouette black paint in high gloss. I think it's such a stately piece now. Still cutesy though because when you open the drawers, you see the original yellow gingham contact paper!


I was going to go for the IKEA Edland two drawer dresser for the changing table, but decided to save myself $140 and buy this similar piece off craigslist. It's solid oak with dovetailed joints and graceful curves, and almost the exact same dimensions as the IKEA dresser. Perfect for a changing pad on top. Jeff painted it also in a Martha Stewart high gloss paint, this time in a light gray, called Driftwood Gray.


And my contribution to the updates... new doorknobs!! Yay! After a year of living in this house, I finally changed out all those awful chipped gold doorknobs. I don't even want to post a before, they were so ugly. Some were gold on one side and silver on the other, all terrible. Now all doorknobs in the house match in this brushed nickel finish and I'm quite pleased with myself for being so handy and swapping them all out.


Next up, handles for the changing table, privacy film and curtains for the window, the crib, and a rug!

No comments: